Build Your Own Aquaponic Garden
Date: Sat, Jan, 31st , 2015 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Aquaponic gardens use bacteria to breakdown fish waste in a recycling water system to grow healthy organic produce without soil.
In this workshop you will build your own aquaponics garden. You’ll leave this workshop with a functional aquaponics garden and a deep understanding of how aquaponic systems work; including aquaponic modelling, aquaculture (fish farming), biological/mechanical filtration, hydroponics (soil-less farming), and smart aquaponic technologies.
Build Your Own DIY “Internet Of Things” Controller II
(System Configuration and Programming)
Date: Sun, Feb 1st 2014 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Remotely monitoring variables such as temperature, light level, sounds, and more.
- Automating processes such as turning on and off lights, raising blinds, controlling water flows, and more.
- Sending real-time alerts using twitter, text, or email.
- Logging and visualizing data and providing graphical simulations.
- Integrating with social networks such as facebook and twitter.
- Streaming video, motion detection and time-lapse photography.
The class will focus on system configuration and software programming required to push data from sensors to the Internet and back to control actuators.
We will build an IoT system by programming the following:
- Arduino mega 2560 for sensors and actuators
- Embedded Linux for communication, security and processing (building Linux kernels & configuration scripts)
- Using “watchdogs” for reliability
- Node.js®, MongoDB & InfluxDB for data logging, visualization, alerting and remote control.
In the end you will have an IoT system ready for YOUR application.
Students must bring the following:
- Laptop with a Linux shell (Windows users will need Cygwin)
- An Ethernet cable (Ethernet connection on computer/usb to Ethernet)
- A soldering iron (optional). If you do not have one, please email us after registering for the workshop and we’ll make arrangements to provide one for you.
If you have an idea of what you’d like your IOT controller to do, bring your sensors or send us an email after registering for this workshop and we’ll let you know if you may want to bring additional materials!